Cottrellville was established in 1822. A reference to the Organic Chapter of the general history points out the organization of this town so early as 1822, with A. Hemminger as Supervisor. In the general history also appear the names of its pioneer settlers - the Cotterals (Cottrells), Wards, Browns, etc. The land rises gradually from the river; is fertile, and must be considered among the rich agricultural lands of the county, the marsh, running back from the river, being perhaps the only exception, and this is capable of cultivation. Marine City of Roberts' Landing are the only centers of population in the township. The population in 1845 was 727; in 1854, 1,442; in 1864, 1,930; in 1870, 2,371; and in 1880, 2,904. The equalized valuation is $600,000; number of acres, 13,011, and number of children of school age.